Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Apple Oatmeal Waffles. You're welcome, part 5.






I'm not a fan of waking up before 10 a.m. This much I know. I was born a sleeper, and not much has changed in the past 28 years, so I don't anticipate anything too groundbreaking to occur in the next 28. Don't get me wrong - I like a regimented schedule. I have my morning commute down to a science - it takes approximately 11 minutes to get to my office by 8:30. Which means I get my ass out of bed at 8:05. It provides just enough time to hit the bathroom, brush my teeth, tame the hair beast, throw on something black with a scarf, grumble noises that almost resemble words to John and stumble out the door. I also prefer not to talk much during these precious hours. Hell, I usually still have an imprint of my bed sheets on my face. Can't you tell I don't want to chat?

But, this recipe ... this one ... is worth waking up for.

I made these waffles over March Madness weekend. It was included in our waffle maker instruction book, if you can believe it.

2 cups pancake mix
1/4 cup quick oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 and 1/4 cups milk (I add buttermilk to make it fierce)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup of finely chopped apple - I use granny smith for tartness

Put all the dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix all the wet ingredients (including the apples) in another bowl. Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Shouldn't take more than a few seconds.

Let the waffle batter sit for 4 minutes while the iron is warming up. It will thicken up a bit.

I'm sure every waffle iron is different, but mine takes 3:30 to 4 minutes to cook. Spray the iron with non-stick spray, pour in the batter, spread it evenly over the iron and close the lid.

I usually sift some powdered sugar on the finished product, cut up a few apples to make it look fancy and stuff my face. There you have it. A delicious waffle.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

Cass in NYC said...

I'm totally going to try this recipe. YUM!
I sympathize with your sleep needs. Unfortunately Aaron is..
a morning person.
But what's worse he's a morning person who is always a morning person, no matter how late the night before was.
Death.

Nicole said...

Waffle iron/sandwich maker. You're welcome. ;)