Monday, March 30, 2009

Strawberry Cinammon French Toast. You're welcome, part 6









Cooking is serious business in the Davidson kitchen. It usually involves a business-like meeting to discuss the menu, a game of rock, paper, scissors to decide who has to go to the store, alcohol and the precision of a drunken sailor. Many of our attempts at cooking deserve the Darwin Award, and I promise to start showcasing some of our recipe flops on the blog. There are plenty to choose from. Like the time I made strawberry cheesecake for a work pitch-in. My roommate tested a piece of leftover strawberry, and gently reminded me not to use the same cutting board onions were cut on the day prior.

Last night, John and I were making pecan tassies (I swear he's straight), and both managed to completely screw up the recipe, even though the cook book was right in front of us. I threw a stick of butter in, and later noticed it called for one pad of butter. As John mocked me, he almost threw in a teaspoon of almond extract instead of vanilla. I also drooled on myself while preparing the crusts. Full-on drooled all over my shirt. I have no explanation for this.

That being said, french toast is pretty fool proof. Here is the recipe. Hold the drool.
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 teaspoons orange liqueur, optional if you prefer bland french toast
  • 3 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 8 thick slices bread - I recommend sliced french bread
  • Whipped topping
  • Powdered sugar
In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, liqueur, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar. Coat each slice of bread on both sides with egg mixture. Place coated bread slices on hot buttered skillet. Cook until golden brown on both sides.

To serve, place 1 piece of French toast on plate. I use a small sifter and tap powdered sugar onto the french toast slices. Top with strawberries and whipped topping. Add another slice of French toast and repeat.

Enjoy.

No comments: