Friday, August 28, 2009

Eggplant Parmesan: You're welcome, part 10.





Eggplant.

I looked it up to describe what it tastes like, and sadly I found an entire forum that likens it to 'barf.' This made me sad, because 1.) no one wants a barf-o-Rama and 2.) I'm on an eggplant kick these days. I enjoyed it for the first time at a delicious Italian joint in downtown Indianapolis, called Iaria's. Their eggplant Parmesan was so good, I don't think I would ever go back to chicken Parmesan.

To me, eggplant has a pretty similar taste and texture to zucchini. It takes on the flavor of whatever you're cooking with, but there is something about combining it with peppers and onions that makes it so flavorful.

So, here is my attempt at converting any anti-eggplanters out there. I ate this the day after I made it, and the flavor was really nice. I also used fresh basil from my freaking gigantic basil bush in our backyard. Ours looks like a tree. You could tie a hammock to it.

  • 1 eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • 6 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
  • 1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 cup chopped green, red or yellow peppers and onions, your choice
  • slat and ground black pepper for seasoning
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in bread crumbs.
  3. Use 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heated skilled and cook eggplant until golden brown.
  4. In a 9x13 inch baking dish spread spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.

1 comment:

cass said...

I am totally going to try this. YUM.