Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Cheddar Apple Pie Dip. You're Welcome, part 7.


Nummies.

Do you have this? Get one, fool.

Milk fat, mixed with creaminess, mixed with cheesy fats.

Just before going into the oven, spread the apples onto the dairy goodness.

I can't say that I really like bridal or baby showers. In fact, they embody just about every one of my phobias — enclosed spaces, obligatory small chat, shower 'games' (the sort of horrifying games that you read about in The Feminine Mystique), herds of people I don't know, 'Ooooo's' and 'Ahhhh's' when opening gifts, and all-round, full-blown awkwardness. They commonly occur on Sundays, which is a sacred day of pajama-wearing nothingness in our household. I really have to like you to sacrifice my cereal-eating, shut-in Sundays, but whatever. I'll shove a dirty sock in my mouth and act like I care.

Aside from the good friends, here is one thing I like about showers, though. The food. A shower host typically whips up an impressive batch of color-coordinated appetizers and finger foods worth enduring those 'games' I mentioned earlier. You know, the ones where you pass around diapers filled with hee-larious* chunks of chocolate poopy and try to guess the flavor, or have a race to see who can make a wedding dress out of tee-pee the fastest? Those ones. Anyway, back to the food.

Someone always ends up making a dish that I absolutely love, and hope to make in the future. The best recipe I've found in a long time is this one, thanks to Shelly. Something about apples, cinnamon and cheese is a perfect combination of sweet and savory. The first time I tried the dip, it was like holding a pickle up to a pregnant lady — you might lose a finger. If no one else was present, I probably would have been found on the floor, cleaning the bowl with my face.

But this was a shower, and ladies don't do that sort of thing at showers.

Enjoy.

1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 each: red and green apple, finely chopped (about 2 cups) --- I used those already cut apples and just cut them into smaller pieces, that way my kids were still able to enjoy the leftovers!
1/2 cup Planters Walnut pieces (I did not include this in my recipe, but didn't want to leave it out for people that like nuts)
1 pkg cream cheese - softened
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
Wheat Thins (I used the cinnamon ones)

Preheat over to 375. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Add apples (and walnuts if you choose); toss until evenly coated.

Mix cream cheese and cheddar cheese in a medium bowl. Add sour cream; stir until well blended. Spread into 9-inch pie plate and top with apple mixture.

Bake 20 minutes or until heated through.

*not true
Side note: I took pictures of everything but the finished product, so that is a generic photo from Kraft at the top of the page.

No comments: