Monday, May 11, 2009

Tomato Basil Pasta Salad WITH classy cheese. You're welcome, part 8.


I whipped this up for some friends last week, and it reminded me of a special tip I wanted to share. I've learned that adding pine nuts and goat cheese to any recipe makes people think you are sophisticated. We all know this is not true about me; I have the sophistication of a chimp. I laugh when my dog lets out wet, squeaker farts on the floor. I drink milk from the carton. I have a propensity to run into things on my bike. I watch the Real Housewives of Orange County, New York and soon-to-be New Jersey (I draw the line at Atlanta, because like I said, I have class).

Classy lady. That's me. Well, not really. But pine nuts would make you believe otherwise, apparently.

I'll give you a couple scenarios:
You could have a grilled cheese sandwich OR bread with olive oil, melted goat cheese AND pine nuts. Positively reeks of mahogany and Equestrian riding.

A salad with veggies, lettuce, American cheese and croutons OR veggies, lettuce, the cheese of a GOAT and pine nuts. Care for a spin on the Yacht, anyone?

I cannot explain this phenomenon, but it will make your guests believe you are rich and cultured every time. Enjoy.


3 Roma tomatoes, diced
cubed or crumbled goat cheese or mozzarella
1/2 cup (or more) Sun-Dried Tomato Dressing
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 pkg. (16 oz.) miniature bow-tie pasta
1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
Parmesan cheese for flavor


TOSS tomatoes with cream cheese, dressing and basil; cover. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.

COOK pasta as directed on package; drain. Place in large bowl.

ADD tomato mixture and pine nuts; toss lightly.

2 comments:

Corrinne said...

This is making me hungry, Kris! And it's 10AM. I love adding the goat cheese. I work with Chavrie (the pyramid shaped one) and you would be surprised what a little goat cheese can do to a dish ( and it's less fattening). Thanks for a great recipe!

Kirstin said...

I enjoy the passed-out Garrison featured in this blog post. I'm also psyched to make this. Thanks!